Pages

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Zucchini Pasta

I can't call this a recipe.  But I have to share.  It's more of a method?  I dunno.  You tell me.

In any case, I hardly eat any grains at all.  I sort of miss pasta, but I think really what I have been missing is pasta sauces.  I love the sauce.  So I found this information somewhere on how to use zucchini as a pasta.  Through some trial and error, I have found the correct method to make this really work (the info I found was not all that great and I had to figure some stuff out on my own).

The result is a texture that is definitely pasta-esque, holds the sauce, and does NOT impart much zucchini flavor, oddly.



Preparing Zucchini Pasta

young zucchini (5-6 inches long)
salt
water
ice cubes

Set a pot of salted water to boil.  Meanwhile,  use a mandolin if you have one and slice your zuc thin, but not paper thin - about the depth of fettuccine noodles. Slice them to make strips if you so desire, or leave them as they come off the fruit.  Discard the middle seed portions.  Prepare an ice bath (bowl of ice water) and set aside.  Once at a rapid boil, drop your zuc strips in the pot of salted water and set a timer for 2 minutes.  DO NOT LEAVE THEM IN LONGER.  As soon as time is up, empty the hot water using a strainer, and immediately get your strips into the ice bath.  Once all the way cool, use the strainer again and allow the zuc to drain completely.  That is it!  You can set them on paper towels to get additional moisture off as well, but I don't bother.

Because the squash is cold, make sure your pasta sauce is nice and hot.  Unless you are making a cold pasta dish, in which case, it doesn't matter.  That's a free tip for you right there.

Eric's method: open a box.  add water.

No comments:

Post a Comment